1. When is the Opening Night celebration held?
The Opening Night celebration is scheduled for Saturday, December 5, 2020.
2. What is the route and start time for the Electric Light Parade?
The Public Workers' Electric Light Parade is held as part of the Honolulu City Lights Opening Night Celebration on the first Saturday in December.
The parade travels on King Street, from River Street to Kawaiahao Street.
Step-off is at approximately 6 p.m. and the first unit arrives at Honolulu Hale approximately 6:30 p.m.
3. What streets will be closed for the Public Workers' Electric Light Parade?
Streets near the parade route in the Chinatown and Downtown areas will be closed for practical and safety reasons.
4. Where can I see the Electric Light Parade?
Smaller crowds are in Chinatown and Downtown area from River Street to Fort Street Mall. Parking and a variety of restaurants are located in this area.
A large crowd gathers in front of Honolulu Hale to view the tree lighting program and the parade. Crowds also fill the sidewalks on both sides of King Street between Bishop and Punchbowl Streets.
WORD OF ADVICE - You may not be able to see the marching bands and vehicles if you are situated past Honolulu Hale between Alapai and Kawaiahao Streets. Vehicle units will be parked in this area and the bands will stop performing in this general area to disembark to their buses.
5. When will the lights on the city tree in front of Honolulu Hale be turned on?
The opening ceremony begins at 6 p.m. and the lights are scheduled to be turned on at approximately 6:30 p.m. on the first Saturday of December.
6. Can I bring food for my family to enjoy at the Civic Center grounds?
Yes. There will also be a variety of foods available for purchase at the Frank F. Fasi Civic Center grounds throughout December. On Opening Night, food booths are located on Punchbowl Street.
7. Where do I park?
Free public parking is available at the Frank F. Fasi Municipal lot, with entry from the left lane of Beretania Street just past Alapa‘i Street. If you wish to see the parade in Chinatown, there are several parking lots in the area. However you will need to park before the parade-related street closures are implemented. Also, you may have to wait for the streets to re-open to exit certain lots.
8. Is there an entrance fee?
No. Honolulu City Lights is presented free as a gift to the community by the Friends of Honolulu City Lights and the City and County of Honolulu.
9. When will the event be broadcast on television?
OPENING NIGHT CEREMONY, DECEMBER 5, 2020, LIVE
Olelo Channel 53 - starts at 6:00PM
10. How long will Honolulu City Lights be on display?
Following the Opening Night celebration on December 5, 2020, Honolulu City Lights will be open daily from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. on the Frank F. Fasi Civic Center Grounds and will run through December 27, 2020.
11. What bus should I take from Waikiki to get to Honolulu Hale and to return to Waikiki?
For information on bus schedules and routes, please visit http://www.thebus.org or call 848-5555.
12. Are the outside displays on all night?
Yes. The lights remain on until sunlight, switching off at approximately 6 a.m. The city's 50-foot holiday tree and other outdoor decorations are lighted nightly at approximately 6 p.m. and remain on until dawn, switching off at approximately 6 a.m.
13. Where can I find more information about entering the annual Wreath Contest at Honolulu Hale?
Rules and entry forms are available online at www.honolulu.gov and Satellite City Halls. For more information,
please contact the Department of Human Resources at (808) 768-8500.
14. Will Santa be available for photographs?
Keiki can visit with Santa in the Honolulu Hale Courtyard nightly from 7 to 9 p.m., through Monday, December 24. Families are welcome to use their own camera to take photos.
15. Will there be kids rides and food available?
Keiki rides will be available nightly from 6 to 9 p.m. through Sunday, December 27. Food & beverage booths will be available nightly from 6 to 9 p.m. through December 27.
16. After the Opening Ceremony and the Electric Light Parade, are any other special events happening during the month of December?
Yes. The Honolulu City Lights celebration continues throughout the month of December, featuring a variety of family-friendly events presented by the Friends of Honolulu City Lights.